BLOG DISCLAIMER

**DISCLAIMER** Please note: I am not a veterinarian, and the purpose of this blog is solely to educate, provide resources, and share Reo's story. In this blog, I will present research and information on the theories of SARDS to which I subscribe, along with my own narrative. If you think your dog may have SARDS, or adrenal exhaustion/Plechner Syndrome, please seek veterinary care right away!

If you are just beginning your SARDS education, I suggest you start with the blog post from August 22, 2011 entitled "SARDS Resources". If you'd like to know our trials, tribulations, and joys from the beginning, start with "But first...Reo!" and click chronologically on from there.

If you would like to read my suggestions as to how I would approach treatment for a newly-diagnosed dog, check the November 16, 2011 post "If I had another SARDS dog" (and then read my blog more fully for appropriate context).

Though we have decided to suspend Reo's retinal protection supplements in September 2012 (see September 16, 2012 post "Decision for Reo") due to the fact that she had very little remaining vision, I am still strongly supportive of our treatment approach, and know that it changed Reo's health and longevity in a positive way. Feel free to comment and ask me any questions - I am happy to help if I can!

Update: Reo became an angel on October 21, 2014. She had a profound kidney infection, causing acute kidney failure, and she was unable to recover. The contributing factors to her decline are covered in my February 16, 2015 blog post "Farewell to Reo".

Though I do not regularly update this blog any longer, much of the information is still relevant (though some of the links may be out of date). Feel free to join the conversation at "SARDS Dogs United" on Facebook.




Friday, October 7, 2011

Reo's diet

10/07/11 - I thought I would update Reo's current meal protocol.  We have been through a LOT of iterations of her diet, but she has been on the below for the past two months, and I foresee that she'll be on this for at least the next 6 months.  We will keep up the supplements for some time (I wish there was a bulk purchase discount for these supplements!).

(This program is tailored to Reo, in consult with Caroline and our veterinarian/acupuncturist, so you should not extrapolate this to your dog directly without speaking to your veterinarian first!  If you have trouble sourcing any of the supplements, please let me know, and I will be happy to help!)

Morning meal
* 1 Stella & Chewy's patty, mixed with 1/8 cup ZiwiPeak Venison recipe, rehydrated with 1/4 cup warm water
(Will rotate the food/protein source every few months as I posted about HERE)
* 1/4 tsp. Nutramin powder (info here)
* 2/3 capsule Phosphatidyl Serine (100 mg)
* 1/2 capsule Cell Advance 440
* 1/2 capsule Magnesium Taurate (125 mg)
Mix together very well
* 0.25 ml Vetri-DMG  suspended giving this November 2011, as liver enzyme levels were normal
* one whole sardine packed in olive oil (oil drained) - King Oscar Bristling sardines are the best we've found
* 1/8 tsp. ProZyme enzyme supplement sprinkled on top
* 1.0 mg Medrol
* 0.1 mg L-thyroxine

Evening meal
* 1 Stella & Chewy's patty, mixed with 1/8 cup ZiwiPeak Venison recipe, rehydrated with 1/4 cup warm water
(Will rotate the food/protein source every few months as I posted about HERE)
* 1/4 tsp. Nutramin powder (info here)
* 1/8 tsp. Standard Process Adrenal Support (info here)
* 1/3 capsule Phosphatidyl Serine (100 mg)
* 1/2 capsule Cell Advance 440
* 1/2 capsule Magnesium Taurate (125 mg)
* 1 capsule (6 mg) Source Naturals Lutein
Mix together very well
* 0.25 ml Vetri-DMG  suspended giving this November 2011, as liver enzyme levels were normal
* one whole sardine packed in olive oil (oil drained) - King Oscar Bristling sardines are the best we've found
* 1/8 tsp. ProZyme enzyme supplement sprinkled on top
* 0.1 mg L-thyroxine


* 1/2 tablet Nutramax Dasuquin every other day
* 1/2 tsp. Nutramax Welactin every other day

Reo still is on her Interceptor heartworm medication once per month.

Looking at the above, gosh, it seems like a lot!  I get a little chemistry experiment each time I prepare her meals!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lynn, Thank you for sharing all of this. Where did you order all the medicine from? Is there a particular site you recommend?

    Thank you!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather,

    Check out these two posts for more information:

    http://sardsdog.blogspot.com/2011/08/diagnosed-so-now-what.html

    http://sardsdog.blogspot.com/2011/12/hormone-replacement.html

    Essentially, I get the supplements on Amazon.com, but I know that they can be sourced from other places, too. Of course, the hormones must be prescribed from your vet.

    If I can do anything else to help you, give a holler! :)

    ReplyDelete