BLOG DISCLAIMER

**DISCLAIMER** Please note: I am not a veterinarian, and the purpose of this blog is solely to educate, provide resources, and share Reo's story. In this blog, I will present research and information on the theories of SARDS to which I subscribe, along with my own narrative. If you think your dog may have SARDS, or adrenal exhaustion/Plechner Syndrome, please seek veterinary care right away!

If you are just beginning your SARDS education, I suggest you start with the blog post from August 22, 2011 entitled "SARDS Resources". If you'd like to know our trials, tribulations, and joys from the beginning, start with "But first...Reo!" and click chronologically on from there.

If you would like to read my suggestions as to how I would approach treatment for a newly-diagnosed dog, check the November 16, 2011 post "If I had another SARDS dog" (and then read my blog more fully for appropriate context).

Though we have decided to suspend Reo's retinal protection supplements in September 2012 (see September 16, 2012 post "Decision for Reo") due to the fact that she had very little remaining vision, I am still strongly supportive of our treatment approach, and know that it changed Reo's health and longevity in a positive way. Feel free to comment and ask me any questions - I am happy to help if I can!

Update: Reo became an angel on October 21, 2014. She had a profound kidney infection, causing acute kidney failure, and she was unable to recover. The contributing factors to her decline are covered in my February 16, 2015 blog post "Farewell to Reo".

Though I do not regularly update this blog any longer, much of the information is still relevant (though some of the links may be out of date). Feel free to join the conversation at "SARDS Dogs United" on Facebook.




Monday, October 17, 2011

Lutein and why I'm using it

10/17/11 - Today,  I received the Source Naturals Lutein supplement in the mail (thanks Amazon.com!).  I opened it up, and saw small, pretty purpley colored capsules.  I opened up a capsule and tasted the supplement, and was delighted that it was not bitter in the least - it has a slightly sweet flavor.  This means that it will be palatable to Reo (who is on the edge already with the bitter-tasting Cell Advance and Phosphatidyl Serine in her meals).

It appears that lutein is well-tolerated by dogs, but for now my plan is to start out with the supplement every other day to see how she tolerates it.  In this paper:  Dietary lutein stimulates immune response in the canine, 25-lb beagles were given daily amounts of lutein in either 5, 10, or 20 mg dosages.  The paper didn't cite any adverse effects, and it appears that it took about 2 weeks for the beagles' serum lutein levels to increase.  I'll see how Reo does on the 6 mg dosage every other day for a couple of weeks, and then potentially increase to daily.

Why the heck am I giving Reo another supplement, you ask?  (It's okay if you asked that...Sean asked too!)  I decided to supplement the lutein based on these two studies (as well as the regularly available information that lutein is good for eyes in general, people too!):

If you've read Caroline Levin's position on SARDS, you might remember that she states that vision loss occurs due to mitochondrial damage in the retinal cells due to the uptake of calcium (which happens as a result of increased estrogen levels).  

It appears that the energy-dependent uptake of calcium ions by the mitochondria is inhibited by lutein, which also helps to efflux (pump out) calcium ions from mitochondria, as this paper states.  So you might think that if there is enough lutein present in the eye, it would help prevent the uptake of calcium if estrogen levels are high.

As well, this paper asserts that lutein and its isomer zeaxanthan help to prevent the apoptosis (killing of cells) of photoreceptor cells in the retina, through their antioxidant properties.

You can read more about lutein on Wikipedia.  There are also rich dietary sources of lutein, if you are cooking for your dog!  Cooked kale and cooked spinach are both naturally very high in lutein, so these would be good choices to put in your dog's veggie mix!

Reo ate up her dinner lickety-split, so we are underway!

No comments:

Post a Comment