BLOG DISCLAIMER

**DISCLAIMER** Please note: I am not a veterinarian, and the purpose of this blog is solely to educate, provide resources, and share Reo's story. In this blog, I will present research and information on the theories of SARDS to which I subscribe, along with my own narrative. If you think your dog may have SARDS, or adrenal exhaustion/Plechner Syndrome, please seek veterinary care right away!

If you are just beginning your SARDS education, I suggest you start with the blog post from August 22, 2011 entitled "SARDS Resources". If you'd like to know our trials, tribulations, and joys from the beginning, start with "But first...Reo!" and click chronologically on from there.

If you would like to read my suggestions as to how I would approach treatment for a newly-diagnosed dog, check the November 16, 2011 post "If I had another SARDS dog" (and then read my blog more fully for appropriate context).

Though we have decided to suspend Reo's retinal protection supplements in September 2012 (see September 16, 2012 post "Decision for Reo") due to the fact that she had very little remaining vision, I am still strongly supportive of our treatment approach, and know that it changed Reo's health and longevity in a positive way. Feel free to comment and ask me any questions - I am happy to help if I can!

Update: Reo became an angel on October 21, 2014. She had a profound kidney infection, causing acute kidney failure, and she was unable to recover. The contributing factors to her decline are covered in my February 16, 2015 blog post "Farewell to Reo".

Though I do not regularly update this blog any longer, much of the information is still relevant (though some of the links may be out of date). Feel free to join the conversation at "SARDS Dogs United" on Facebook.




Friday, October 28, 2011

Back and Forth...

10/28/11 - Happy Friday!  I am looking forward to the weekend.  Fall has definitely fallen, and there are a lot of leaves to be raked!  I hope that it's sunny this weekend, so we can all be outside while we pick up nature's lovely, colorful mess.

Reo has been doing okay this week.  Her vision is definitely variable, which frustrates me.  Sometimes it's like she can't see anything at all, and other times, she seems to be at ~80% or so.  It's strange to me how it can change in a matter of minutes - makes me wonder what the heck is going on in that retina!  I usually know when she's not seeing because she will use her nose more to sniff around to help find her way.  Her vision remains quite good outside or in bright lighting.

Mood-wise, she is fantastic.  I know I've said this before, but she hasn't acted this spritely in a couple of years, so to see her so playful and happy is truly amazing.  Sean always says that this is the most important part (and I do agree...I just want some of her vision to stay, too!).  We most certainly have our dog back, in terms of her personality!

All of her "functions" have been normal, too, which is good.  I have noticed the past two mornings, she's gotten up earlier than normal, and has panted a few times under the covers in bed.  This usually makes me question her estrogen levels, as this was a primary symptom in January/February this year (she couldn't tolerate sleeping under the covers without panting, whereas pre-hormonal imbalance she'd just be a little briquet under the covers till morning).  So, panting makes me think of the heat intolerance that comes with high estrogen levels.  On the other hand, I'm a really hot sleeper - in the winter, I like the temperature to be around 58 in the house (for sleeping, not during the day!) and all warm and snuggly under the covers.  So lately, I've been warm since the house is in the 60s, which is hopefully why Reo has been panting on occasion (which is ameliorated by my bringing her up on top of the covers).

Reo seems to tolerate the lutein supplement quite well.  I haven't noticed any changes, either good or bad.  I think I'll just keep her on the every other day dose for the time being.  She has plenty of antioxidants from the Cell Advance - the lutein is just an added one to hopefully help protect those valuable retinal cells.

However, I decided to take her off the Vetri-DMG liquid in the next week or so, as Reo's last CBC revealed that her liver enzymes were in good shape (and as her hormone levels become more balanced, this will make her liver happier as well).  The Vetri-DMG also stimulates the immune system, and I don't want *too* many immune system stimulants going on.  I'd like to cut down supplements where I can, as I don't want her to be a science experiment forever!  Dr. Lanz uses the Vetri-DMG for liver and immune support, but Reo is doing well in both of those areas at the moment, so it's safe to stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment