BLOG DISCLAIMER

**DISCLAIMER** Please note: I am not a veterinarian, and the purpose of this blog is solely to educate, provide resources, and share Reo's story. In this blog, I will present research and information on the theories of SARDS to which I subscribe, along with my own narrative. If you think your dog may have SARDS, or adrenal exhaustion/Plechner Syndrome, please seek veterinary care right away!

If you are just beginning your SARDS education, I suggest you start with the blog post from August 22, 2011 entitled "SARDS Resources". If you'd like to know our trials, tribulations, and joys from the beginning, start with "But first...Reo!" and click chronologically on from there.

If you would like to read my suggestions as to how I would approach treatment for a newly-diagnosed dog, check the November 16, 2011 post "If I had another SARDS dog" (and then read my blog more fully for appropriate context).

Though we have decided to suspend Reo's retinal protection supplements in September 2012 (see September 16, 2012 post "Decision for Reo") due to the fact that she had very little remaining vision, I am still strongly supportive of our treatment approach, and know that it changed Reo's health and longevity in a positive way. Feel free to comment and ask me any questions - I am happy to help if I can!

Update: Reo became an angel on October 21, 2014. She had a profound kidney infection, causing acute kidney failure, and she was unable to recover. The contributing factors to her decline are covered in my February 16, 2015 blog post "Farewell to Reo".

Though I do not regularly update this blog any longer, much of the information is still relevant (though some of the links may be out of date). Feel free to join the conversation at "SARDS Dogs United" on Facebook.




Thursday, September 1, 2011

Struggles with food


Reo is completely over eating rice (white or brown), and she seems to have lost a little weight.

I'm considering putting her back on Orijen kibble (1/3) and wet food (2/3).   

Orijen is super high-quality when you look at the ingredients from a phytoestrogen perspective.  And, although it is a commercial pet food, I do feel good about the ingredients, and Reo loves it.  I also picked up some Merrick canned food that is low in phytoestrogen-containing ingredients.  Reo really loves the Grammy's Pot Pie, and the Venison Holiday Stew.  I still don't feel good about feeding Reo this diet, but will proceed until I can find something better.  Leigh and Tula are on The Honest Kitchen raw dehydrated, but all of their formulas have foods high in phytoestrogens in the top 5 ingredients.  I feel conflicted.  :(

06/05/11 - Reo is currently on 1/8 cup Orijen kibble plus ~1/4 cup of wet food (Natural Balance Potato and Duck or Merrick Grammy’s Pot Pie), twice per day.  She seems to really enjoy having the kibble back in her diet.  I am putting ½ capsule of Magnesium, Phosphatidyl Serine, and Cell Advance in with each meal.  She sometimes doesn’t like the Cell Advance and leaves behind some small bits of food, but for the most part, she is eating very well.

Reo is sleeping through the night just fine, but seems to wake up very early (like 5 am).  I take her outside to potty, and then she demands breakfast.  I try to make her wait until 6 or 6:30!

06/09/11 - Reo's mood has been great lately!  We just passed the 11 week mark for the treatment protocols.  Caroline and I agreed that we'd keep Reo on the supplements for 36 weeks, and if no difference was visible, we would discontinue.

06/11/11 - I learned from another SARDS dog owner that Medrol increases the production of stomach acid.  He's been giving his dog some Pepcid AC and said it greatly helped with "warm belly".  Warm belly is exactly as described, and Reo has had it for months!  I attributed it to high estrogen levels, but I'm willing to give some Pepcid AC a try and see how it works out.  I started her on 2.5 mg once per day before breakfast and Medrol dosage.



No comments:

Post a Comment