BLOG DISCLAIMER

**DISCLAIMER** Please note: I am not a veterinarian, and the purpose of this blog is solely to educate, provide resources, and share Reo's story. In this blog, I will present research and information on the theories of SARDS to which I subscribe, along with my own narrative. If you think your dog may have SARDS, or adrenal exhaustion/Plechner Syndrome, please seek veterinary care right away!

If you are just beginning your SARDS education, I suggest you start with the blog post from August 22, 2011 entitled "SARDS Resources". If you'd like to know our trials, tribulations, and joys from the beginning, start with "But first...Reo!" and click chronologically on from there.

If you would like to read my suggestions as to how I would approach treatment for a newly-diagnosed dog, check the November 16, 2011 post "If I had another SARDS dog" (and then read my blog more fully for appropriate context).

Though we have decided to suspend Reo's retinal protection supplements in September 2012 (see September 16, 2012 post "Decision for Reo") due to the fact that she had very little remaining vision, I am still strongly supportive of our treatment approach, and know that it changed Reo's health and longevity in a positive way. Feel free to comment and ask me any questions - I am happy to help if I can!

Update: Reo became an angel on October 21, 2014. She had a profound kidney infection, causing acute kidney failure, and she was unable to recover. The contributing factors to her decline are covered in my February 16, 2015 blog post "Farewell to Reo".

Though I do not regularly update this blog any longer, much of the information is still relevant (though some of the links may be out of date). Feel free to join the conversation at "SARDS Dogs United" on Facebook.




Sunday, September 25, 2011

Hiking in Red River Gorge

Labor Day weekend, 2011 

Sean and I took the dogs on a road trip to the eastern part of KY, to Red River Gorge!  We rented a dog-friendly cabin for the weekend, and planned to do some hiking and relaxing.  When we lived in Colorado, hiking was one of Reo and Leigh's most favorite activities - they always impressed "big" dog owners when they completed hikes to 11,000 or 12,000 feet!

Unfortunately, our first day of hiking was a scorcher - about 97 degrees.  I thought a "short hike" would be feasible, so we chose a fairly secluded, very wooded trail.  Though it was cooler in the forest, we were plagued by mosquitoes, and were sweating more than I could ever remember.  I had cool collars on all the dogs, but they were still working hard.

The impressive thing was that Reo led the trail the entire way!  She was on-leash, but out in front of me, jumping over downed tree limbs, going under if necessary, scrambling up rocks, and crossing bridges.  I couldn't believe how amazing she did.  There were a few times that she needed encouragement, and she stopped a couple of times, but she was incredible!  I looked at her out in front of me and thought that my heart would explode from pride!  Sean and I were in awe of her.  She was working really hard, and was pretty tired due to the heat, but she made it the entire way - could not believe it!  So proud of you, Reo!!

Because the day was hot, we cooled off in the car and drove around to see more of the Gorge and associated Daniel Boone National Forest.  I'll admit it was only us that did any "seeing" because all the dogs were PASSED OUT once they had cooled down.  Tired dogs = happy dogs!



Unfortunately, it rained on Sunday and Monday, so our hiking aspirations were more or less ruined.  We did have a nice time hanging out in the cabin, though.  The dogs all got foot massages with Musher's Wax, so they were happy to get some pampering!

Here are Reo and Leigh after their Saturday hike, and foot massage:




Pretty relaxed, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment