BLOG DISCLAIMER

**DISCLAIMER** Please note: I am not a veterinarian, and the purpose of this blog is solely to educate, provide resources, and share Reo's story. In this blog, I will present research and information on the theories of SARDS to which I subscribe, along with my own narrative. If you think your dog may have SARDS, or adrenal exhaustion/Plechner Syndrome, please seek veterinary care right away!

If you are just beginning your SARDS education, I suggest you start with the blog post from August 22, 2011 entitled "SARDS Resources". If you'd like to know our trials, tribulations, and joys from the beginning, start with "But first...Reo!" and click chronologically on from there.

If you would like to read my suggestions as to how I would approach treatment for a newly-diagnosed dog, check the November 16, 2011 post "If I had another SARDS dog" (and then read my blog more fully for appropriate context).

Though we have decided to suspend Reo's retinal protection supplements in September 2012 (see September 16, 2012 post "Decision for Reo") due to the fact that she had very little remaining vision, I am still strongly supportive of our treatment approach, and know that it changed Reo's health and longevity in a positive way. Feel free to comment and ask me any questions - I am happy to help if I can!

Update: Reo became an angel on October 21, 2014. She had a profound kidney infection, causing acute kidney failure, and she was unable to recover. The contributing factors to her decline are covered in my February 16, 2015 blog post "Farewell to Reo".

Though I do not regularly update this blog any longer, much of the information is still relevant (though some of the links may be out of date). Feel free to join the conversation at "SARDS Dogs United" on Facebook.




Sunday, October 16, 2011

Eye supplement comparison chart


10/16/11 - Many people out there give their SARDS dog some sort of supplement to help protect the dog's retinal cells from further damage.  I was trying to figure out what would be the best to give Reo, so I made a simple table to compare some of the more common supplements.  The cost basis and dosages were based on the "small dog" side of things, so ingredient analysis and cost will be different for larger dogs.

Please note the abbreviations mg (milligrams), mcg (micrograms), and IU (international units). NA means not available/not listed as an ingredient.

Apologies for the rendering in this blog - I couldn't quite get the whole table to fit, and didn't want the text to be too small!  I do have this in an Excel spreadsheet.  If anyone would like a copy, just post a comment with your email, and I will send it on over!


Cell Advance 440
Ocu-Glo RX (small dog)
Nutri-Vet Healthy Vision Chewables
Source Naturals Lutein 6 mg capsules
Ocuvite Lutein Eye
Ocuvite Eye
Icaps Lutein and Omega3
Vitamin C
250 mg
50 mg
75 mg
NA
60 mg
200 mg
45 mg
Vitamin E
37.5 IU
25 IU
20 IU
NA
30 IU
60 IU
10 IU
Vitamin B6
6.25 mg
0.1 mg
NA
NA
NA
NA
1.3 mg
Zinc
3.75 mg
3 mg
5 mg
NA
15 mg
40 mg
7 mg
Coenzyme Q10
1.25 mg
13 mg
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
Biotin
NA
10 mcg
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
Panthothenic Acid
NA
1 mg
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
Vitamin B1
NA
0.1 mg
NA
NA
NA
NA
1.2 mg
Vitamin B3
NA
1.2 mg
NA
NA
NA
NA
16 mg
Alpha Lipoic Acid
NA
35 mg
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
Lycopene
NA
1 mg
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
Green Tea Extract
NA
20 mg
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
Folate/Folic Acid
NA
20 mcg
NA
NA
NA
NA
240 mcg
Vitamin B12
NA
2.5 mcg
3 mcg
NA
NA
NA
2.4 mcg
Beta carotene
1,875 IU
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
Vitamin A
1,250 IU
NA
1,000 IU
NA
NA
1,000 IU
600 mcg
Methionine
12.5 mg
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
L-cysteine
12.5 mg
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
L-glutathione
12.5 mg
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
Magnesium
9.8 mg
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
L-lysine
6.25 mg
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
Hesperidin
5 mg
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
Rutin
5 mg
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
Catalase
10 mg
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
Super Oxide Dismutase
2.75 mg
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
Quercetin
2.5 mg
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
Manganese
0.25 mg
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
2.3 mg
Copper
62.5 mcg
NA
4 mcg
NA
2 mg
2 mg
0.9 mcg
Selenium
125 mcg
NA
3 mcg
NA
NA
55 mcg
34 mcg
Molybdenum
6.3 mcg
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
Vitamin B2
NA
NA
4 mg
NA
NA
NA
1.3 mg
Grapeseed Extract
NA
yes
5 mg
NA
NA
NA
NA
Lutein
NA
yes
5 mg
6 mg
6 mg
2 mg
10 mg
Bilberry Extract
NA
NA
4 mg
NA
NA
NA
NA
Zeaxanthan
NA
NA
80 mcg
300 mcg
NA
NA
2 mg
Other Ingredients
Gelatin exterior capsule
Gelatin, Glycerin, Beeswax, Lecithin, Soybean Oil and Liver Extract
Beef Liver, Magnesium Silicate, Magnesium Stearate, Natural Pork Flavor, Plant Cellulose, Pork Liver, Silicon Dioxide, Stearic Acid, Sucralose
FloraGLO Marigold flower extract, red beet root, gelatin (capsule), maltodextrin, magnesium sterate, and silica
Lactose monohydrate, Crospovidone, Magnesium Stearate, Silicon dioxide

Calcium, Omega-3 fatty acids, others not listed








Approx. cost/day
$0.24
$0.78
$0.21
$0.12
$0.31
$0.12
$0.29


Based on my research, for Reo, I am going to keep her on the Cell Advance 440, but also supplement the Source Naturals 6 mg Lutein and zeaxanthan. I like all of the powerful antioxidants that are in the Cell Advance, as it will not only help protect Reo's retinal cells, but also with her immune system support. On
the other hand, I think it's valuable to have some lutein and zeaxanthan in the mix, too, because there is quite a bit of published research on the positive effect of both compounds in the eye.  Since this is lacking in Cell Advance, I'm going to try supplementing the Source Naturals Lutein and see if I notice any changes.

The Ocu-GLO looks good, but it seems fairly expensive relative to the other supplements/ingredients, which is why I decided to mix and match.

So, at the very least, it was a useful exercise for me! :)  Hopefully someone else will find it useful as well!  

6 comments:

  1. Hello! I was researching about supplements to give my 11.5 year old Shih Tzu and came across your site ;) Thank you for your research and in sharing this information - it certainly will be helpful as I am a little lost right now!

    Thank you so very much again! :)

    Best regards
    Wendy & MiMi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    I am researching a cheaper alternative to the Ocu-glo. True, it has all of the needed ingredients, but it and the other THREE rx's are killing me financially......not to mention the eye vet bill that was over 200.00 for the visit. OMG.

    How did you get the ingredients that are included in Ocu-glo that are not mentioned to be included in the chart that you have listed?

    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this quality information with us. I really enjoyed reading. Will surely going to share this URL with my friends. supplements to balance homemade dog food

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this good information you took the time to research and organize.

    ReplyDelete