BLOG DISCLAIMER

**DISCLAIMER** Please note: I am not a veterinarian, and the purpose of this blog is solely to educate, provide resources, and share Reo's story. In this blog, I will present research and information on the theories of SARDS to which I subscribe, along with my own narrative. If you think your dog may have SARDS, or adrenal exhaustion/Plechner Syndrome, please seek veterinary care right away!

If you are just beginning your SARDS education, I suggest you start with the blog post from August 22, 2011 entitled "SARDS Resources". If you'd like to know our trials, tribulations, and joys from the beginning, start with "But first...Reo!" and click chronologically on from there.

If you would like to read my suggestions as to how I would approach treatment for a newly-diagnosed dog, check the November 16, 2011 post "If I had another SARDS dog" (and then read my blog more fully for appropriate context).

Though we have decided to suspend Reo's retinal protection supplements in September 2012 (see September 16, 2012 post "Decision for Reo") due to the fact that she had very little remaining vision, I am still strongly supportive of our treatment approach, and know that it changed Reo's health and longevity in a positive way. Feel free to comment and ask me any questions - I am happy to help if I can!

Update: Reo became an angel on October 21, 2014. She had a profound kidney infection, causing acute kidney failure, and she was unable to recover. The contributing factors to her decline are covered in my February 16, 2015 blog post "Farewell to Reo".

Though I do not regularly update this blog any longer, much of the information is still relevant (though some of the links may be out of date). Feel free to join the conversation at "SARDS Dogs United" on Facebook.




Saturday, September 7, 2013

New article discussing the Melan-100 for SARDS screening

09/07/13 - All is well in our household - I have been busy lately with Miniature Pinscher rescue activities, which is rewarding yet challenging!  I will write another post once Reo has her follow-up appointment at the ophthalomologist in a couple of weeks.

I wanted to post because there is a new article in the Journal of Veterinary Medical Science coming out from a group in Japan that discusses the Melan-100 colorimetric PLR device that is often used by ophthalmologists to help diagnose SARDS, PRA, and other eye diseases.

This is the abstract:

To determine the efficacy of a colorimetric pupil light reflex (PLR) device (Melan-100®, U.S.A.) in dogs of sudden acquired retinal degeneration syndrome (SARDS; 16 cases), progressive retinal atrophy (PRA; 10 cases) and optic pathway disease (6 cases). The colorimetric device detected PLR abnormality in 32, 16, and 9 eyes with SARDS, PRA and optic pathway disease, respectively, whereas white light detected PLR abnormality in 18, 11 and 9 eyes with SARDS, PRA and optic pathway disease, respectively. SARDS dogs displayed miosis, while optic pathway disease dogs displayed mydriasis by blue light examination. Thus, colorimetric PLR may be a useful method for determining whether electroretinography (ERG) or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) should be performed for dogs with acute blindness.

The full text of the article is available (though because it is a pre-print copy, it does not look as pretty as a published article - there are line numbers in the left margin) at this link:  https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/jvms/advpub/0/advpub_12-0363/_pdf

It looks like the authors agree that an ERG is very important for accurately diagnosing SARDS:

"Although the colorimetric PLR device is useful as a screening test, it is risky to diagnose these abnormalities with this method alone. It is necessary to diagnose SARDS, PRA, and optic pathway disease via funduscopic examination, ERG, and MRI."

10 comments:

  1. Hi Lynn, first I want to start by saying thank you for posting about Reo and your experience with SARDS. This blog is probably what is going to save my dog Shasta's life because as soon as I read through it, I contacted Dr. Plechner and Caroline Levin. I just love Reo to pieces! I have a question for you regarding your post on Dec 12. You mentioned you stopped giving Reo the PS and you were worried that the supplement blocks cortisol production stopping the PS supplement may have spiked the sugar level. After receiving the test results that she was not Diabetic do you still feel that Levin's supplement protocol are of benefit to preserving eyesight when trying to work out the cortisol and estrogen levels? I'm asking because Shasta received her first IM injection 2 weeks after diagnoses and Dr. P said he thought she'd only need the one injection because her IgA was 57 and could probably absorb the oral medrol just fine. Well, she's had some digestive issues...although we believe she is absorbing to some degree I'm trying to wein out any foods she's allergic too by feeding her only 2 ingredients at a time for a few days. Right now we are trying organic beef only, but hear her tummy gurgle a little. Her stool is solid and small. I've only been giving her enzymes and Krill Oil with her meals and meds. If her gurgling continues, I'm going to try no meat and just white rice. I've already nixed fowl and potatoes. So anyway, she may need another injection, but my question is your opinion on the retinal supps in retrospect. We are now one month from the day Shasta lost her vision and just over 2 wks since her injection and a week since starting the oral medrol, which I feel I've seen a decrease in her vision since taking the oral. She'll be getting blood work done again on Sept 17th. Thank you and I'm so glad Reo is doing so much better! ~ Michelle C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle - I'm glad Reo's story is helping Shasta! We hope she feels better soon.

    I do believe that Caroline's suggested supplements are beneficial, and I personally would keep them up for about 6 months to see if they make a difference. If you don't notice an improvement or maintenance of vision, it's probably okay to stop.

    Do you have some assistance from a vet regarding the food sensitivities and allergies? My impression is that exposing dogs to many different foods in rapid succession can cause some allergies, especially in dogs with compromised immune systems, but I'm not totally sure - just something that I thought I read once upon a time! Tummy gurgling in itself is not problematic, especially if her stools look good - just my opinion. I think it is dangerous to feed dogs only white rice.

    Keep us posted as to how you are doing, and fingers crossed for an improvement in bloodwork numbers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. Plechner is advising me on Shasta's diet. I haven't added to it, only cut out things that Levin and Plechner have suggested. Once I figure out what foods she can handle I'll find a kibble with those ingredients. I was only going to give shast the white rice to see if gurgling stopped. Her stool is fine now. But Dr. P feels that something is blocking her absorption or she would be having more "good" days than "bad" days. I will keep you posted. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, good, glad to hear! When I read your comment, I thought you were changing her food every few days to something new. What kind of dog is Shasta, and how much does she weigh? As you probably remember from reading Reo's story, I really felt like Reo got worse before she got better - it took her body a couple of months to equilibrate from the injections (though Reo had 3 and not 1). You are doing a great job for your girl - nice work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shasta is Alaskan Malamute/German Shepherd mix with perhaps a little Collie. She is approx 64 lbs. I keep re-reading your blog all the time to compare Shasta's behavior and symptoms to Reo's. On 6/26 you discuss Reo's blue halo on one eye...well I notice now that Shasta has this in both eyes. It's a greenish blue color as her normal eye color is light brown. I will call my vet tomorrow, but was wondering what antibiotics you were given that cleared that up. I'm wondering if I should make an appt with the Ophthalmalogist or just the vet (who is at a conference all week so I would see someone else) and I wasn't a fan of the Ophthalmalogist, but will go back if that is the best person to diagnose uveitis. And thanks for the kind words above, it has been emotionally draining, but so worth taking care of her and getting to it right away thanks to your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lynn,

    Would you mind if I shared your blog on my facebook page? I wanted to ask before taking the liberty.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm seeing the vet today get another EI-1 panel done, but I looked up Uveitis and am convinced Shasta has this as well. Do you mind telling me what your dr. prescribed for Reo for this condition? As I may have to push for the same treatment if the vet is unaware. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reo got Neo Poly Dex eyedrops, and oral Clavamox. Most cases of uveitis do not have a known cause, so it's a crap shoot if the antibiotics help or not. They did in Reo's case. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete