BLOG DISCLAIMER

**DISCLAIMER** Please note: I am not a veterinarian, and the purpose of this blog is solely to educate, provide resources, and share Reo's story. In this blog, I will present research and information on the theories of SARDS to which I subscribe, along with my own narrative. If you think your dog may have SARDS, or adrenal exhaustion/Plechner Syndrome, please seek veterinary care right away!

If you are just beginning your SARDS education, I suggest you start with the blog post from August 22, 2011 entitled "SARDS Resources". If you'd like to know our trials, tribulations, and joys from the beginning, start with "But first...Reo!" and click chronologically on from there.

If you would like to read my suggestions as to how I would approach treatment for a newly-diagnosed dog, check the November 16, 2011 post "If I had another SARDS dog" (and then read my blog more fully for appropriate context).

Though we have decided to suspend Reo's retinal protection supplements in September 2012 (see September 16, 2012 post "Decision for Reo") due to the fact that she had very little remaining vision, I am still strongly supportive of our treatment approach, and know that it changed Reo's health and longevity in a positive way. Feel free to comment and ask me any questions - I am happy to help if I can!

Update: Reo became an angel on October 21, 2014. She had a profound kidney infection, causing acute kidney failure, and she was unable to recover. The contributing factors to her decline are covered in my February 16, 2015 blog post "Farewell to Reo".

Though I do not regularly update this blog any longer, much of the information is still relevant (though some of the links may be out of date). Feel free to join the conversation at "SARDS Dogs United" on Facebook.




Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Costs of Reo's treatment

04/02/12 - I've been asked a few times about the costs of treatment for adrenal exhaustion/Plechner's syndrome, so I went about the exercise of filling out a table for Reo.  It's worthy of note that I've added a couple of things to Reo's diet that aren't specified by either Caroline Levin or Dr. Plechner (Standard Process Adrenal Support, Lutein, Prozyme, Welactin, Dasuquin).  I consider these to be at my discretion as a dog owner, and contribute to Reo's overall health as a geriatric dog.

I buy Reo's supplements from Amazon.com, as I find the costs reasonable, and the shopping experience easy.

Reo's treatment as below costs $2.35 per day, or about $70 per month (assuming a 30 day month).

Of course, the costs will vary with the size of the dog, and which supplements are used (or not used).  Hopefully, this helps my readers understand some of the breakdowns of costs, and that it is reasonable, as compared to other treatment options available.

(Please note that the table below does not represent any veterinary costs, such as exams, blood tests or panels, diagnoses, ultrasounds, hormone injections, etc.  This is only meant to outline the approximate costs of oral treatment.)



Cost
Cost Per Day
Cost Per Month
Cost Per Year
Medrol (20, 2 mg tablets)
$27.00
$0.68
$20.25
$243.00
L-Thyroxine (120 0.1 mg tablets)
$18.00
$0.30
$9.00
$108.00
Phosphatidyl Serine (120 caps)
$33.00
$0.28
$8.25
$99.00
Magnesium Taurate (180 caps)
$25.49
$0.14
$4.20
$50.40
Cell Advance (60 caps)
$13.97
$0.23
$6.99
$83.88
Standard Process Adrenal Support (100 g)
$54.00
$0.28
$8.40
$100.80
Lutein (180, 6 mg caps)
$21.94
$0.12
$3.66
$43.92
Prozyme (454 g)
$23.96
$0.11
$3.30
$39.60
Nutramin (2 lb)
$21.71
$0.10
$3.10
$36.00
Welactin (480 ml)
$23.95
$0.06
$1.80
$21.60
Dasuquin (150 tablets, under 60 lbs)
$65.25
$0.05
$1.50
$18.00





TOTALS
$328.27
$2.35
$70.45
$844.20

5 comments:

  1. I am reading your blog from beginning to end...I can't stop because I think there is a good chance this is what is wrong with my dog who went blind a week and a half ago. She was diagnosed a while back as having Cushing's. I have not taken her to the vet since her blindness because the vet told me quite a while back that she had a cataract in one eye and the other she had what he referred to as a frozen iris. He said the iris would cause eventual blindness and the cataract would get much worse. So her blindness was gradual and somewhat expected. However...I found your blog on Blinddogs and I am totally fascinated ...the symptoms of urination, pacing, panting, drinking, eating, ....all of them are what she has experienced. And...she has been under a lot of new stress. She is elderly and I have taken her to work with me every day for two years since my other dog passed. Recently the property management person notified our office that we could no longer bring dogs. So she has had to stay home by herself. It's been a difficult adjustment. Anyway....I wanted to ask, since you are divulging costs, what the approximate costs are for the blood tests you would recommend. I could not afford to go to the opthamologist when my vet suggested it for her cataract. I just don't have the finances for extensive medical procedures for her right now. She is about 14 or so. I was unable to afford all of the varied tests to narrow down her Cushings diagnosis. My vet has narrowed it to Adrenal rather than pituitary. He feels she has a tumor. Because of her age, I would not put her through surgery even if I could afford it. So I did not have the ultrasound either to confirm the vet's diagnosis. He put her on medication (can't remember the name...) it did not seem to have any effect and I have let it run out and am undecided as to what I will do. He wanted to put her on a stronger one, but I have had experiences with that with 2 other dogs and they both died. Oh, as a dog lover, like you, I could go on and on!!! My vet is very knowledgeable and I've been with him for about 15 years. However, he is a typical western medicine trained vet. I have over the past few years become very intrigued with nutrition and subsequently have turned away from pharmaceuticals, though they sometimes have their place. I asked my vet (after researching natural products) about using some Adrenal support supplements. He said "they don't work". So I am not expecting that he would be very excited to have me come in and question his diagnosis at this point. We have had many long and good discussions through the years but I'm beginning to see a need for a new vet....preferably holistic! :) Interestingly, since going blind some of her symptoms have 'eased'. She is not peeing as much, and is able to hold large amounts for a long time. She is not pacing, but then she is newly blind and unable to see where she is going. She seems much calmer....and a bit depressed. She has done a little panting this week, but her coat is growing out and it has been warmer. I do ramble, don't I??? One thing I want to mention is have you ever given Reo probiotics? I started Susu on probiotics a couple of years ago. She was having potty issues...loose stools. I put her on pumpkin which she has every day...works for both constipation and loose stools. Normally she is constipated, which makes me think she has thyroid issues, but she got loose stools (could also be thyroid) so I put her on probiotics. She hasn't had loose stools or tummy issues for 2 years. I also use an enzyme which helps digest her food. I order the both through Dr. Mercola. Heals the gut and helps them to absorb nutrients from their food. She was not very healthy looking when I started her on it. She had been on Prednisone...she has spinal disk problems as well. I switched her to a raw diet at that time, too. I think the combination extended her life. Thanks for all your great information!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan,

    Thanks for reading! I'm glad it has given you food for thought. :) The last time I got Reo's blood panel taken, the cost was $140, which did not include the vet visit/blood draw/overnight shipping. The test from either NVDS (recommended) or from the Univ. Tennessee are the same price, as far as I know, from my experience.

    How did your vet diagnose Cushing's? Was it regular Cushing's or Atypical Cushing's? Many of the symptoms of Cushing's are mimicked by elevated estrogen, so it is possible that your pup has some adrenal imbalances that are not solely related to cortisol levels. Has she ever had her thyroid tested? You mentioned that she has been on prednisone in the past - how long ago? And, did you notice an increase in her symptoms when she went off it?

    I don't give Reo probiotics, but not because I am opposed to them at all! Since her "new" diet after her diagnosis, and all the associated supplements, she has been in good shape. I don't even give her pumpkin any more, because her stools are normal. I also use an enzyme (ProZyme) to help her digestion, since she is an older gal.

    Feel free to let me know if I can do anything else to help!

    Best,

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took her in because she started urinating inappropriately in odd places. Well, now I'm not sure but I don't remember it being Atypical Cushings. I would have to check her records. She did have her thyroid tested a couple of years ago and it was normal. He put her on a low dose anyway because she was very lethargic (walks really slow) He also put her on some testosterone at the same time because she had a hole in her eye (don't know how or where it came from). She did perk up, but I never knew if it was the thyroid meds or testosterone. I really think she needs to be back on it. She was on prednisone a little over 2 years ago. I can't honestly remember if I noticed any symptoms increasing after the prednisone was discontinued. We are both getting old, lol, and my memory doesn't serve me too well these days. :) I just think the timing is uncanny for my dog. She also had to adjust to a new dog in the office (she's not too friendly with other dogs) and that is when she started urinating. I thought it might be intentional, but it was not exactly like marking territory. She would just stop and pee in the middle of a sidewalk like she couldn't hold it to get to the grass right next to her. Then she had to start staying home alone all day. Then her vision started failing more and bingo...she went blind. She's having a tough time being blind. She is pretty old and not too steady on her feet. Not a lot of energy. She just didn't need this at this time of her life. She seems so confused and weary. :(

    I hope to finish reading your blog this weekend and may have to re-read parts of it so I can communicate my thoughts with her vet. You also mention dark skin as being indicative of high estrogen levels. I have seen that on her in different places on her body.

    Thank you for answering so quickly. I may be checking back with you for more information.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you ruled out diabetes?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, diabetes was ruled out very early on in Reo's diagnosis; her blood glucose levels have always been normal. :)

    ReplyDelete