BLOG DISCLAIMER

**DISCLAIMER** Please note: I am not a veterinarian, and the purpose of this blog is solely to educate, provide resources, and share Reo's story. In this blog, I will present research and information on the theories of SARDS to which I subscribe, along with my own narrative. If you think your dog may have SARDS, or adrenal exhaustion/Plechner Syndrome, please seek veterinary care right away!

If you are just beginning your SARDS education, I suggest you start with the blog post from August 22, 2011 entitled "SARDS Resources". If you'd like to know our trials, tribulations, and joys from the beginning, start with "But first...Reo!" and click chronologically on from there.

If you would like to read my suggestions as to how I would approach treatment for a newly-diagnosed dog, check the November 16, 2011 post "If I had another SARDS dog" (and then read my blog more fully for appropriate context).

Though we have decided to suspend Reo's retinal protection supplements in September 2012 (see September 16, 2012 post "Decision for Reo") due to the fact that she had very little remaining vision, I am still strongly supportive of our treatment approach, and know that it changed Reo's health and longevity in a positive way. Feel free to comment and ask me any questions - I am happy to help if I can!

Update: Reo became an angel on October 21, 2014. She had a profound kidney infection, causing acute kidney failure, and she was unable to recover. The contributing factors to her decline are covered in my February 16, 2015 blog post "Farewell to Reo".

Though I do not regularly update this blog any longer, much of the information is still relevant (though some of the links may be out of date). Feel free to join the conversation at "SARDS Dogs United" on Facebook.




Monday, February 27, 2012

Toe woes

02/27/12 - Reo's had an infected pinky toe for about a week.  She's a dog that likes to scratch after she pees, and about 2 weeks ago when we were out for a walk, she found a particularly attractive patch of dead Bermuda grass and went to town.  All four feet were involved in the scratching, and she was aggressive about it!  It was funny at the time, to be sure.

Lo and behold, a week later, she started gimping around, and I examined her feet.  Her pinky toe was about twice the size of her other one!  I think she must have gotten some grass or particles between the nail and cuticle.  So I washed it with an antiseptic cleanser, applied Neosporin, and talked to Dr. O about it when we saw him for her Medrol injection.  He said just to keep an eye on it and bring her back if it got worse.

Well, it's still infected.  Over the weekend, I started two-a-days soaking it in Epsom Salts (which she looooves - like a spa pedicure!), which seems to be drying it out very nicely.  Swelling is down a lot, and it's not bothering her as much.  Hoping that we can get it back to normal before we leave town later this week.  If not, we'll have to go and get some antibiotics for the little miss!

Between her toe bothering her, and the packing/moving whirlwind, Reo is feeling off her game.  All of us are really looking forward to getting back into our normal routine!


No comments:

Post a Comment