BLOG DISCLAIMER

**DISCLAIMER** Please note: I am not a veterinarian, and the purpose of this blog is solely to educate, provide resources, and share Reo's story. In this blog, I will present research and information on the theories of SARDS to which I subscribe, along with my own narrative. If you think your dog may have SARDS, or adrenal exhaustion/Plechner Syndrome, please seek veterinary care right away!

If you are just beginning your SARDS education, I suggest you start with the blog post from August 22, 2011 entitled "SARDS Resources". If you'd like to know our trials, tribulations, and joys from the beginning, start with "But first...Reo!" and click chronologically on from there.

If you would like to read my suggestions as to how I would approach treatment for a newly-diagnosed dog, check the November 16, 2011 post "If I had another SARDS dog" (and then read my blog more fully for appropriate context).

Though we have decided to suspend Reo's retinal protection supplements in September 2012 (see September 16, 2012 post "Decision for Reo") due to the fact that she had very little remaining vision, I am still strongly supportive of our treatment approach, and know that it changed Reo's health and longevity in a positive way. Feel free to comment and ask me any questions - I am happy to help if I can!

Update: Reo became an angel on October 21, 2014. She had a profound kidney infection, causing acute kidney failure, and she was unable to recover. The contributing factors to her decline are covered in my February 16, 2015 blog post "Farewell to Reo".

Though I do not regularly update this blog any longer, much of the information is still relevant (though some of the links may be out of date). Feel free to join the conversation at "SARDS Dogs United" on Facebook.




Monday, November 28, 2011

Giving thanks...

11/28/11 - This post comes after "the day", but the sentiment is still the same.  We had a great Thanksgiving this year, with both of my siblings traveling to be with us for a massive feast!  It was so nice to have a few days off, spend time with family, and enjoy delicious food and drink!

The dogs had a great time, too, as they enjoyed eating the turkey heart, liver, and neck meat, along with a little premium muscle meat!

Spirits were high this past week, but I still had time to reflect on what was important.  I have learned so much this past year (about things I wish I didn't have to, to be honest!), and feel like I have grown as a person, and certainly as a dog owner.  I am so grateful for all of the help and support I have had along the way to help get Reo to a better place (and keep me sane!).

In no particular order, I am so thankful for:
- Caroline Levin, and all of her diligent research, creating a protocol to help SARDS dogs with adrenal exhaustion, her support and guidance, and her great book Living with Blind Dogs
- Dr. Plechner, whose never-ending desire to help people and animals (in the face of endless negativity from the veterinary community) successfully helped our family deal with Reo's Plechner Syndrome.  I'm thankful for his patience in answering my myriad questions, and giving me explanations when things didn't make sense
- Dr. O, who agreed to undertake Dr. Plechner's protocol after Dr. N turned us down
- Dr. Lanz, whose acupuncture treatments truly helped to mitigate Reo's symptoms, and whose perspective helped me to get by, week by week
- A brave and wonderful dog in Reo, who was so patient as we worked to get her healthy - she has such a big heart!  Our relationship certainly has grown stronger this year
- A steadfast supporter, and love of my life, Sean, who reminded me of our priorities and made sure I was taking care of myself
- My alma mater and previous employers, without whom I wouldn't be able to comprehend most of the biochemistry and scientific terms involved in adrenal exhaustion/Plechner syndrome!
- The financial means to support our family, pursue treatment and supplements to cure Reo's condition, and feed our entire family of humans, dogs, and cats premium, healthful food

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday, and took time out to remember the things for which you are thankful!

2 comments:

  1. Lynn,

    So glad your Thanksgiving holiday went well!

    Great (and very helpful) posts here recently.

    I am putting together an Email to bring you up to date on Gracie's situation since my last post here.

    Be on the lookout!

    .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! I was wondering how you and Gracie are doing. :) Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday!

    ReplyDelete